It’s All About Thinking: Creating Pathways for All Learners in the Middle Years
In this third volume of It’s All About Thinking, the authors focus their expertise on teaching and learning in the middle years, translating principles into practices and exploring questions such as:
- How can we help students develop the competencies they need to become successful learners?
- How can we create pathways to deep learning of important concepts?
- How can we engage and support diverse learners in inclusive classrooms?
Nicole, Linda and Leyton explore these questions and offer classroom examples to help busy teachers develop communities where all students learn. These three experienced educators offer a welcoming and “can-do” approach to the big ideas in middle years education today. In this book, you will find:
- insightful ways to teach diverse learners (arts integration, open-ended strategies, cooperative learning, inquiry/project-based learning, community/social-emotional learning, formative assessment/self-regulated learning, diverse texts, new literacies/emerging technologies)
- units and lessons crafted using curriculum design frameworks (universal design for learning and backward design)
- assessment for, as, and of learning
- fully fleshed-out lessons and lesson sequences to help students develop deep learning and 21st Century learning competencies
- assessment tools (and student samples) for concepts drawn from middle years curricula
- excellent examples of theory and practice made accessible to teachers
- real school examples of collaboration – teachers working together to create better learning opportunities for their students